Parking lot is meant by a defined space in underground area of a building or outdoor surface, where cars are used to be parked in a manageable way. Parking lot maintenance is done by experienced and professional service providers.
Parking lot is the first thing which people notice often when they arrive at your property. If it is not in good condition and having potholes and cracks will make it dull. You should not only maintain the parking lot to make your property look presentable but also you want it to be safe for others. Good planning from the beginning and simple maintenance can keep the parking lots both beautiful and functional. The parking lots looks rough and piles of sand gathered in lower areas if it is not maintained properly which will result in degradation of that space. Mostly asphalt pavements lose its flexibility due to oxidation and become brittle and begin to break and crack. Rain also has a bad effect on the cracked pavements as the water sweeps in it creates larger cracks. If the pavement is not maintained in time then you have to repave.
Seal coating of the pavement surface can be done after six months. This time duration will help the asphalt to harden and settle down properly and will protect it from UV rays and auto fluids. Seal coating must be done every 2 or 3 years to maintain the protecting layer and keep the surface new and dark. Good maintenance also includes filling in the cracks and potholes before they can spread and effect the whole pavement.
Pavement Marking and Striping:
- Proper marking and striping help the motorist to drive through safely.
- Parking lot signs are very important to be mentioned for the safety of the visitors.
The Importance of Parking Lot Maintenance:
Proper parking lot maintenance is very relevant for many reasons, such as;
- It will be safe for everyone who will be using the pavements of parking lots. Proper markings on the pavements help to control the traffic flow and protect both pedestrians and drivers.
- It is relevant to stay compliant with the ADA requirements. As every parking space must have the right amount of properly marked, handicap accessible areas.
- Maintained parking lot makes your business look great, as the parking lot is the first thing that people will encounter when visiting your business.
- If preventive measures are taken to maintain the parking then it can increase the durability of the parking lot.
Parking Lot Maintenance Services:
One can opt for the various parking lot maintenance services which are available in the market to keep the pavement look beautiful and safe for others. Some of them are as follows:
- Regular sweeping and cleaning is an important part of the ongoing maintenance of the parking lot. It depends on the size of your parking lot and the nature of the business that will affect the frequency of work done.
- Sealing also helps to protect the asphalt surface from UV rays and water. Sealing help to cover the asphalt and make it look beautiful.
- Sealing the cracks and filling the potholes is an important factor to be kept in mind to maintain the structural integrity of the parking lot. Repairing these problems as soon as possible will help to prevent more damage in future to the surface. It will also have a good effect on the business.
- Restriping should be done after every year or two, as it helps to keep your parking lot safe and functional for the people using it. Marking at the parking lot must be very clear. Other markings which include directional arrows need to be marked properly to avoid any kind of accidents. It will help to keep traffic moving in an efficient way.
- Landscaping and lawn care may also be an important part of maintaining medians, islands, and other areas surrounding your parking lot.
Ways to protect the pavement from damage:
- Avoid the garbage cans near the entrance of the pavements as the trucks can damage the area.
- Maintain a proper drainage system to avoid preventing water from penetrating the pavements and destroy it.
- Oil and gasoline break down the asphalt so try to avoid the spilling in the pavement.
- Treat the damaged pavements as soon as possible to avoid further damage.
Parking Lot Maintenance Cost:
For sweeping a 500 space parking space the average cost is $80-95 per visit. If you go for re striping then average price that you have to pay is approximately $5-6 per 18-foot line. For commercial seal coating the average cost nationwide is about $0.19 per square foot.
But unfortunately, there is no fixed way to calculate the cost of parking lot to repair and maintained. An onsite inspection is done by the pavement maintenance contractor to find the damage and determine the best way to cure it. There are various factors which need to be kept in mind which may impact the project; some of them are as follows;
- Current condition of the parking lot
- Your geographic location
- Square footage of the lot
- Current weather conditions
- Severity of the damage
- Local labor and material rates
- Repair method
- Materials required
Important question to Ask Your Parking Lot Contractor:
- Are they fully licensed and insured?
- How long are they working in the industry?
- Does the written cost estimate include all important information?
- Have they completed such projects like this in the past?
- When will the work be completed?
- Is cleanup included in the estimate?
- Do they offer any type of warranty?
- How long do we need to wait to resume using the parking lot?
You can find various contractors associated with the maintenance and provide complete line of paving and sealcoat maintenance services which includes:
- Residential Sealcoating Striping
- Infared Patching
- Asphalt Patching
- Hot Pour Crackfilling
- Cold Pour Crackfilling
- Installation of Parking Lot Signage